Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A Red, Red Rose

Our third trimester of school was extremely short. After I gave my midterm (belatedly), I was left with a meager total of 5 class periods before final exams. I had really wanted to look at some poetry with my kids, just as a very brief introduction, but would there be time now? And let's be honest, my students can barely speak English. Could they handle poetry? Did I dare?

Why not! With the short amount of time, I chose to focus on just five poetic devices: imagery, end rhyme, repetition, simile, and alliteration. I spent a good amount of time searching for works that would be simple enough for my students to grasp. The best piece turned out to be "A Red, Red Rose" by Robert Burns. Where feasible, I took the liberty of updating much of the old Scottish language into more comprehensible terms -- e.g. a' the seas gang dry became "all the seas go dry" -- but some of it I couldn't bring myself to defile in that way. (I attempted to explain to the kids about outdated language that they should not use; nevertheless, I have no doubt that thanks to me, at least one Rwandan teenage boy will be writing a love note to his "bonnie lass.")


"A Red, Red Rose" was an especially good example because it's so lyrical and has a distinct rhythm. And so I had the kids practice reading out loud as a class, first repeating after me one line at a time, then reciting a whole stanza at once. It was a blast. I have one particular student who is quite good at English, but I think school bores him entirely, so about 80% of the time he skips my class in favor of wandering around outside. But on the day that we were boisterously reciting, he heard us from wherever he was, and I noticed him quietly creep back in the room and sit in his seat. While we all clapped the beat to keep time, he softly tapped the table in front of him. One small success.

As we discussed the meaning of the poem -- that he will love her until the seas are dry, that he will come 10,000 miles to see her -- an unconvinced Fanny cried out, "Teacher! He is a LIAR!" Then Jonathan raised his hand. "Question, teacher. Is this hip-hop, or R&B?" I laughed. I had already noted that Robert Burns lived from 1759-96. I pointed to those dates on the board. "Ah," nodded Aimable, understanding: "It is old-school."

My final class period with each of my sections was special. Because the kids looove American pop music, I brought my iPod and speakers and let them listen to a song. But the catch was that I made them identify poetic devices -- who knew Jordin Sparks & Chris Brown were so prolific with end rhyme and imagery? There's even a simile! "Losing you is like living in a world with no air," which one of my sweethearts announced that he would like to change to "Losing you is like living in Buyoga with no English teacher." Love.


As I exited one class, a student caught me outside the door and presented me with a small folded-up note:

BECOUSE YO TEACH ME POEM
I WRITE TO YOU THIS POEM
THIS IS MY GIFT TO YOU
THANK YOU

"MY BEST KNOWLEDGE"

My knowledge,
deep of my knowledge.
I respect you until land become sky.

I know,
I know your kindness,
when you become our teacher,
who teaching well.
Your ideas is well,
is well like my father,
My father is a Rwandan.

I want to be with you,
you you are my happy,
my happy like my study.
My study when continue,
I'm never forget my best knowledge.

Throughout the year, I've really tried to give a lot of positive reinforcement, since in general students just don't receive much of it here. So I always give stickers on every assignment for good marks, and I also give an additional prize of a fancy American pen for each section's top scorer on my tests. As the year draws to a close, I wanted to give special recognition to the kids who have continuously worked hard. Since I'm a nerd who's obsessed with Microsoft Excel, it wasn't hard to find the students who have achieved an average of 85% or more for the entire year, and these I invited to a special ceremony. I gave them each a certificate (because THEY LOVE CERTIFICATES), and they also each got to choose a small gift from my smorgasbord of American magazines, books, pens, notebooks, etc. (This served the added function of helping me to empty my house before I move out in a few weeks!)


And thus ends my formal teaching experience in Africa. I have to say, though I miss Mauritania all the time and especially my host family there, my work has been far more rewarding in Rwanda. My students here are, simply put, the best. And certainly the best part of my time in this country. And I will luve thee still, my dear(s), / While the sands o' life shall run.

6 comments:

Anonymous

JulieAnn, it has been such a pleasure keeping up with your adventures, via this blog and Dave. Hold on to those memorable teaching moments! You (and a few others I know) can always rely on the power of music, eh? Were any "Lessons with Miss Clark" ever shared?? Hopefully when you get back to USA, you will once again teach and motivate kids here. Our schools sure need people like you! Sure hope our paths will cross again soon. Mary Jane Cowell

Siouxson

What a great way to end the school year!! It was sad to see it come to an end, but poetry will last forever in their memories. Thanks for blogging.

Tonya

Thank you JulieAnn,
I have enjoyed your blogging in Africa, from Mauritania to Rwanda. Thank you! As I told you at the end of your time in Mauritania, I know I will hear you name again. You are a special person! Keep shining that beautiful smile of yours.
Brandon Forester's mother
Tonya Inkelaar

Erica FK

Hey jules-

I am so proud of you, and seeing the little differences you made in the lives of the children is inspiring. I know that it must have been frustrating at times, but like you know, you have to remember the small things that make a difference....I am sure those kids will miss you so much. I can't wait to see you when you get home....do you have a date yet? I know you are going to travel a bit after the training, let me know. I love you and miss you so much...how fast two years went by.....wow. I am off to Haiti in the spring...hopefully I will see you before then. I hope to make it Africa oneday, especially Rwanda!
Always in my mind....Eriquita

musicditdot

It truly has been wonderful reading about all your adventures. I am sure that you have touched many lives for the better in these past couple of years and I pray that you can continue that wherever your future may take you. What a blessing you must receive in knowing that you have made a difference. I pray that your encouraging words will have a lasting effect upon each of your students that you have had. Safe traveling mercies be with you as you finish up your time in Africa and come back to the states.

Anonymous

I love that you are wearing my outfits in most of the pictures...makes me feel like I am still with you as I continue to live my life vicariously through your good works. Thank you for your devotion to the good works of Peace Corps and for keeping me inspired to continue trying to volunteer throughout the world. You truly are a remarkable person and friend and I am honored to have spent more than a year living and working within your presence. Lots of love from America and I look forward to hearing about your West African trip and return to America. Expect a visitor soon after your arrival!

Yates